Dear LWML Leaders,
Welcome back to Tips for Leading with Confidence. We pray this leadership tip will be beneficial as you serve our Lord through the LWML. We welcome your feedback and suggestions.
Leadership Transition — Part I
The transition of responsibilities from outgoing officers to incoming officers happens after an election, but it actually begins before the commitment is made to run for an office.
Responsibilities of the nominating committee include providing the following to the prospective officers:
- Updated descriptions of the positions;
- Schedule of responsibilities for the term of office (calendar of events); and
- Copy of the section of the bylaws that pertains to the office.
Too often we go into a position not knowing the full scope of duties to be performed. Waiting until after the election can cause frustration and wasted time searching, researching, recreating, etc.
Here are some points for the outgoing officer to consider:
- Update records, files, forms, guidelines, calendar of events, and directories that belong to the office. These should be in order.
- Remove unimportant or personal correspondence from files. When in doubt, do NOT throw it out.
- Upload pertinent information on a flash drive so it can be used for updating documents. Save it in Plain Text (*.txt) format so it can be shared among software programs.
- Items of historical significance should be sent to the archivist-historian, if you have one.
- Review together, with the new officer, all files and materials on paper or on flash drives.
- Highlight items of extreme importance.
- Remember that you are there as a servant, resource, and mentor; make yourself available.
- Make certain there is an understanding of what and when things need to be done.
- Thank God for the opportunity that you had to serve Him. Pray with and for the new officer, asking for the Lord's continuing guidance for her.
Part II will have points for the incoming officer to consider.
As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace (1 Peter 4:10).
(Ideas taken from Stay Calm and Transition On, a Leadership Development resource)
Lois Teinert, Chairman
Leadership Development Committee
LWML 2019–2021 Leadership Development Committee
Lois Teinert, Chairman
Marie Chow, Vice President of Organizational Resources, Advisory