LWML Means Mites for Missions
Giving like the widow's mite
Martin Luther once said, "We cannot give God anything; for everything is already His, and all we have comes from Him. We can only give him praise, thanks, and honor." When our sisters in the faith met at the LWML's organizing convention in 1942, one of their first acts was to select mission projects to support. First was the support of Christ Church Chapel for the Deaf in Cleveland in the amount of $15,000. In postwar Europe, we sent aid to children orphaned by the ravages of World War II.
During the 2013-2015 biennium, mites will fund 18 grants worldwide for a total mite goal of $1,830,000. In over 70 years, LWML has supported over $100 million dollars in mite grants. Plus, after each district commits to a national contribution of 25% of their mite collections, the remaining 75%, (an additional $5 million), is used by districts to directly support grants of their choosing.
Today, we, like our founders, seek to live our Christian lives in faithful service and outreach. Listed below are a few of the grants our mites currently support:
- Constructing the foundation, walls, and roof of a Lutheran primary school in Haiti.
- Funding the production, marketing, and distribution of the weekly “Worship for Shut-ins” DVD program produced by Lutheran Ministries Media.
- Bringing the love of Christ to children who are at risk or have special learning needs through Lutheran Special Education Ministries’ after-school/summer programs.
- Training three K-9 Comfort Dogs which will be used to aid those who share the love of Jesus and help spread the Gospel to people who are hurting and in need.
- Cultivating, through technology, a common direction for Lutheran campus ministry.
- Funding the printing and distribution cost of Luther’s Small Catechism and A Child’s Garden of Bible Stories in languages of Southeast Asia.
- Supporting Rebecca’s Garden of Hope’s (RGOH) faith-based, after-school tutoring and mentoring program aimed at connecting at-risk children in urban communities with the love of Christ.
- Reaching children who are deaf in places such as Kenya and India with Bible story books so they may come to know the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Providing scholarships to foreign students from our partner churches in developing countries so they can train others in their own countries to spread the Gospel message.
In the past 70 years, over $100 million has been contributed through mite offerings. Your gift, along with the contributions of others, will provide perpetual funding to assist the LWML in continuing its history of mission-ministry in the church, the community and among the people of the world.
The Lutheran Women's Missionary League is a tax-exempt organization by the Internal Revenue Service under section 501c(3) of the IRS Code. Contributions to LWML are deductible by donors as provided in section 170 of the IRS Code.
There are many ways to support the LWML:
- Donate Online
- Gift Planning Services
- Endowment Fund
- Employer Matching Funds
- Joyful Response (PDF, 160KB)
- Mail your check or money order to:
Lutheran Women's Missionary League
P.O. Box 411993
St. Louis, MO 63141-1993