Special Ministries Task Force
Introducing the LWML Special Ministries Task Force
We are ALL fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalms 139:14a), ALL precious in [God’s] sight (2 Kings 1:13b), and ALL one body in Christ (Romans 12:5), therefore, we strive, with God’s help, to include women of ALL abilities as together we serve the LORD with gladness! (Psalms 100:2).
As women of the LWML, we serve alongside those who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Blind and Visually Challenged, and Intellectually and Developmentally Challenged. Together we encourage ALL to be seen, heard, and understood as we share in the mission of proclaiming Christ.
Focusing on Accessibility, Awareness, and Advocacy, the Special Ministries Task Force will equip women of the LWML by:
- connecting them with accessible resources.
- building awareness of those with diverse capabilities.
- providing opportunities for advocacy.
(L to R) Carmen Nagel, chairman, (Oregon District); Linda Koeller, (Missouri District); Jennifer Ceyanes (Texas District); Marilyn Schroeder (Iowa West District)
The purpose of the Special Ministries Task Force is to:
- Oversee and update the LWML webpages specific to deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged.
- Connect the LWML Districts with the resources available through LCMS Recognized Service Organizations (RSO) working in the areas of deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged ministries.
- Connect the deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged individuals with accessible LWML resources.
- Encourage LWML Districts to appoint a Special Ministry Advocate to inform the women of different opportunities for service and fellowship with deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged people.
- Communicate with district advocates providing encouragement to help LWML groups welcome all women into their fellowship.
LWML League Pledge signed in ASL, with words on the screen
Resources for Deaf Outreach
(The following resources were not written by LWML.)
ASL Deafined — subscription service for ASL training — www.asldeafined.com
Ephphatha Lutheran Mission Society — www.elms-deaf.org
Lutheran Deaf Mission Society — www.deafjesus.org
Mill Neck Family of Organizations — lutheranfriendsofthedeaf.org
World Lutheran Deaf Outreach —www.lutherandeafoutreach.org
Explaining Deaf Culture — www.deafculture.com/ethnic_culture
Basic ASL signs
Beginner conversational words and phrases — www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhQvlq-mZtA
Learn Sign Language: Lesson 1 — www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaMjr4AfYA0
100 Basic Signs — www.youtube.com/watch?v=ianCxd71xIo
Signing in a Worship Setting
The Lord’s Prayer — contact the Vice President of Special Focus Ministries if you need a higher quality file
Luther's Morning Prayer — https://youtu.be/F-cUwcjaTDQ
Luther's Evening Prayer — https://youtu.be/WcyfJUC6iRY
Signing “Jesus Loves Me”
Weekly Devotions — www.lutheranfriendsofthedeaf.org/weekly-devotions
The Ten Commandments
The Ten Commandments — https://youtu.be/W4U1CxB1_S8
First Commandment — https://youtu.be/30Vv6FmaDrQ
Second Commandment — https://youtu.be/Qi46ZVO66Wg
Third Commandment — https://youtu.be/v-DB0r3Gngw
Fourth Commandment — https://youtu.be/kOq-9c1LV9c
Fifth Commandment — https://youtu.be/9BkYnjaLD04
Sixth Commandment — https://youtu.be/QFNgb1IfZeA
Seventh Commandment — https://youtu.be/QDLgdqcT_HM
Eighth Commandment — https://youtu.be/EsYEQlx5hNk
Ninth Commandment — https://youtu.be/CE7Tlvz8xpM
Tenth Commandment — https://youtu.be/YsZZXlnCyfI
Close of Commandments — https://youtu.be/owujVOe92jM