Mission Service Activity of the Month
April 2018: Friendship Tea and Youth Fashion Show
Invite your family, friends and neighbors too!
You may bring your favorite tea cup and share your story.
Bring a canned good for the Community Food Bank.
At Easter we celebrate new life in Jesus Christ. The joy of our living Savior invites us to share His Love with others. Spring is a great time to celebrate with family, friends, and neighbors. Here is an inspirational spring event that will allow you to share time and express your love with those you care about and those you have just met.
- Put together a planning committee and/or a Thrivent Action Team. Consider the following tasks:
- Reserve the fellowship hall for the event.
- Request that men from the congregation to act as servers.
- Solicit volunteers for the clean-up committee.
- Recruit children to be models in the fashion show. Action Team funds can be used purchase an outfit up to $25 for each model. The children can be from the congregation, preschool or a school, or children that the LWML ladies have taken under their wing.
- Send out invitations – encourage attendees to bring family members, friends, or someone new. Provide opportunities for shut-ins and those in assisted living or nursing homes to join you.
- Plan a menu such as finger sandwiches, fruit, desserts and a variety of teas.
- Set up the day before so there is plenty of time to decorate tables with table cloths, flowers, teacups, plates, cookie trays, etc. Include a recipe for friendship tea or a Mustard Seed devotion at each place.
- Consider activities such as:
- A Maypole
- A PowerPoint slide of each attendee including five pictures of them at various stages in their life with the last picture on the slide transitioning into what they look like now
- A Candyland prayer walk
- Sharing stories about the favorite teacup they brought with them
- A service activity (food for the food bank, diapers for a pregnancy center, etc.)
- Providing vintage hats for all the ladies to wear; have everyone make their own hats; or have a vintage fashion show
- See the suggested invitation text here: sample invite Word doc
Extending Jesus’ Love in Action to the Community
Take the tea party to the community using these ideas:
- Have a simple tea party at a nursing home, women’s shelter, homeless shelter, or half-way house for women. Work with the nursing home or shelter to determine whether there are any restrictions and then keep it simple. Bring everything needed — mugs or teacups, simple cookies or finger foods, a devotion (perhaps Comfort from the Psalms Mustard Seeds) and an eagerness to make new friends.
- Assemble “Mug Devotions” to hand out to women who visit your church or who become new members. Start with a mug (check out the LWML mugs at CPH.org!) then include the following:
- An herbal tea bag or two
- Honey sticks
- A Mustard Seed devotion (such as Living as a Woman in Mission)
- Contact information and meeting times for LWML and Bible study groups
- Visit a shut-in or someone who hasn’t been in church for a while. Or, perhaps there’s a new mom or a neighbor you’ve not yet met. Bring one of the aforementioned “Mug Devotions” as a gift as well as tea preparations for the two of you.
The Gospel Outreach Committee would love to hear about and share your mission service activities! Please contact us through the LWML email at email@example.com. Thank you!