Lutheran Friends of the Deaf Honors LWML
The Lutheran Women’s Missionary League has been selected as the winner of 2016 Lutheran Friends of the Deaf John of Beverley Award.
This award is presented only when a nominee is deemed to have made a significant meritorious contribution to mission and ministry to the Deaf consistent with the ideals of the founders. The nomination committee has determined LWML has met their criteria. It is very rare that an organization is honored.
The Lutheran Friends of the Deaf was founded in 1947 by a small group of clergy and lay people who committed themselves to helping deaf individuals both physically and spiritually. Their Mill Neck Manor School on Long Island, New York, was dedicated September 23, 1951. In their first newsletter it was noted that LWML Atlantic District and LWML English District had adopted the school as a mission grant. A more recent grant from LWML was a grant for Bible Story Books in Sign Language and Written Text funded during the 2013-2015 biennium.
Read the rest of this article here.