A printable PDF can be found at the end of this article.
The structure of LWML and duties of its officers and committees are detailed in the LWML Bylaws section of the LWML Handbook.
- The biennial convention, held in odd-numbered years, is the governing body of the organization. Voting delegates are the elected and appointed officers, district presidents, chairmen of standing committees, zone delegates, and past national presidents. Appointed personnel and Pastoral Counselors serve in an advisory capacity.
- The Board of Directors transacts the business of the organization between conventions, conducts the routine business of LWML, and implements the program of work. The Board of Directors is composed of the elected officers (who have voting privileges) and the appointed officers and Pastoral Counselors (who serve in an advisory capacity).
- The Presidents Assembly promotes the activities of the LWML and approves business that goes in front of the convention body for vote. The Presidents Assembly is comprised of the LWML President and district presidents. The members of the Board of Directors serve in an advisory capacity.
- 2021–2023 LWML Organizational Chart
- Women who are communicant members of an LCMS congregation are eligible for membership as an individual or in a group. Application for either type of membership is processed according to the requirements of the respective district.
- The traditional unit of LWML membership is one or more groups within a congregation of the LCMS. However, women who hold membership in an LCMS congregation may form a group in a setting other than a congregation such as a campus or resident home upon acceptance by the respective district (see LWML Bylaws, Article II, Section 1).
- Individual membership is available to a woman in an LCMS congregation with or without a group affiliated with the LWML (see LWML Bylaws, Article II, Section 1 e).
- LWML groups are members of zones with geographic boundaries corresponding to district circuits as much as possible. Zones form the LWML district which correspond to the LCMS districts as much as possible.
- Officers, elected in alternate conventions to serve a term of four (4) years, are President, five Vice Presidents, Recording Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Two Pastoral Counselors are elected in alternate conventions to serve a term of four (4) years.
- Appointed officers, appointed by the President to serve a term of two (2) years and eligible for reappointment, are Meeting Manager, Public Relations Director, and Strategic Plan Facilitator.
- Appointed personnel are the Archivist-Historian, Convention Chairman, Convention Manager, and Parliamentarian, appointed by the President for a term of two (2) years and eligible for reappointment.
Departments and Committees
Christian Life Department
- Christian Life Committee
- Equip women with Christ-focused resources to encourage and grow their faith through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Christian Resources Editors Committee
- Review and update current resources.
- Solicit and equip authors to produce additional resources.
- Produce a two-year meeting guide that provides programming ideas and promotes growth in faith and relationships with sisters in Christ.
- Information Technology Committee
- Encourage the use of the website and social media platforms as resources for being in mission, service, and fellowship with other women.
- Review regularly the website and social media for effectiveness.
- Promote LWML presence and branding in social media.
- Provide resources and suggestions for technical support and education.
- Official Publication Staff
- Produce the Lutheran Woman’s Quarterly to:
- Be a dynamic witness tool for all women.
- Connect women with the mission of LWML.
- Provide relevant and timely topics for study and discussion.
- Inform women of LWML news at home and throughout the world.
- Produce the Lutheran Woman’s Quarterly to:
- Graphics Team
- Provide graphic design support for the work of the LWML.
- Promote the creative and professional look of the LWML.
Gospel Outreach Department
- Gospel Outreach Committee
- Encourage women to be grounded in God’s Word.
- Inspire women to share their faith in Jesus Christ, their Savior, through acts of love and service.
- Provide ideas and resources that assist women to glorify God by serving others.
- Provide Gifts from the Heart ingathering opportunities at national meetings and convention.
- Mission Grants Committee
- Review and select mission grant proposals for the Mission Grants ballot.
- Provide resources that inspire and motivate women to support mission grant recipients through prayer and encouragement.
- Update LWML Mission Grants Resume and Mission Grant History to include the mission grants selected in previous biennium.
Organizational Resources Department
- Church Workers in Mission Committee
- Encourage LWML women to build relationships with pastors and church workers so we may partner together to spread the Gospel.
- Provide resources to LWML members so that they can support pastors and church workers in their congregations.
- Provide information on new LCMS rostered workers to districts so that LWML members can welcome them, make them aware of the mission of the LWML, and provide them with LWML resources that can assist them in their ministry.
- Group and Leader Development Committee
- Encourage participation in LWML events and activities that spread awareness of LWML missions and service.
- Direct local groups, zones, and districts to resources that connect women with the mission and ministry of the LWML in order to further its reach.
- Direct present and future leaders to resources as they discover their unique God-given gifts and so participate in a meaningful and encouraging servant leadership role.
- Offer resources to present and future leaders to discover and develop their unique God-given gifts and therefore participate in a meaningful and encouraging servant leadership role.
- Structure Committee
- Keep the LWML Bylaws and related resources flexible while maintaining the legal status of the organization.
- Review district bylaws and proposed amendments.
- Be a resource to help districts, zones, and groups have effective structure and procedures which allow them to serve the Lord with gladness.
Special Focus Ministries Department
- Committee on Young Women
- Guide LWML leaders with resources to make connections with young women.
- Produce and facilitate the Young Woman Representatives (YWR) program for the LWML Convention.
- Empower and mentor younger women to connect and grow in relationships as sisters in Christ.
- Equip and encourage young women to become more involved in their congregation and the mission of the LWML.
- Heart to Heart Committee
- Motivate, equip, and ensure opportunities for women to serve others, participate in LWML, and grow in relationships as sisters in Christ.
- Develop and facilitate the Heart to Heart program.
- Special Ministries Task Force
- Oversee and update the LWML webpages specific to deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged.
- Connect the LWML Districts with the resources available through LCMS RSOs working in the areas of deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged ministries.
- Connect the deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged individuals with accessible LWML resources.
- Encourage LWML Districts to appoint a Special Ministry Advocate to inform the women of different opportunities for service and fellowship with deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually challenged, and intellectually and developmentally challenged people.
- Communicate with district advocates providing encouragement to help LWML groups welcome all women into their fellowship.
Personnel not in a Department
- writes history of LWML activities; and
- gathers, receives, and preserves records and historical materials of the LWML.
- Business Manager
- oversees the business operations of the organization, including the LWML Office.
- Convention Chairman
- leads the convention Host Committee to supply on-site assistance.
- Convention Coordinators
- assist the convention manager by focusing on specific aspects of convention.
- Convention Manager
- serves as liaison between the Convention Programming Committee and Convention Host Committee; and
- reports to the Board of Directors as requested by the President.
- Marketing Team
- provides support through intentional promotion of the programs, products, and services of the LWML.
- Meeting Manager
- develops and administers meeting service support for all LWML events as directed by the President; and
- seeks out and arranges for quality services to meet the personal and meeting needs of the LWML.
- Nominating Committee
- seeks out qualified, gifted members to be candidates for elected positions; and
- submits names of at least two (2) candidates, if possible, for each office to be filled at national LWML conventions.
- advises regarding parliamentary procedure to the president, officers, and members upon request; and
- is an ex officio member of the Structure Committee.
- Strategic Plan Facilitator
- assists the organization to review the past, assess the present, and prepare for the future; and
- focuses the vision of the organization through the use of a planning process.
- Public Relations Director
- informs LCMS entities of the mission and ministry of LWML;
- interacts with the church and the world at large to influence perceptions and attitudes toward Lutheran Women in Mission; and
- coordinates convention publicity.
- Public Relations Committee
- Create a consistent message and heighten the awareness of LWML and its mission.
- Enhance our visibility to all women of the LCMS.
View the map of the LWML Districts here.