LWML Bylaws Relating to Individual Membership
(one of the articles with which a district must comply)
- A woman who is a communicant member of an LCMS congregation is eligible for membership as an individual or in a group.
- Individual membership is available to a woman in an LCMS congregation with or without a group affiliated with the LWML. Individual membership is not considered a group or a unit, nor does it confer voting privileges at the national level.
- Requests for recognition of membership shall be processed by the LWML district in which the individual or group resides.
- Individual membership is available to women in LCMS congregations with or without a group affiliated with LWML.
- Individual membership is designed for women who have an interest in the mission and ministry of the LWML organization, but cannot, for a variety of reasons, attend group meetings.
Qualifications for Individual Membership
- Be a communicant member in an LCMS congregation.
- Support the mission and ministry of LWML.
- Desire to participate in LWML activities.
Procedure for Becoming an Individual Member
- Requests for recognition as an individual member should be made, either verbally or in writing, to the president of the LWML district in which the applicant resides.
- If contact information is needed for the LWML District President, call the LWML Office [1-800- 252-LWML(5965)] or visit www.lwml.org.
Privileges of Individual Membership
- May participate in a variety of LWML events and activities.
- May hold elective or appointive office, if desired.
Responsibilities of Individual Membership
- Understand the purpose of LWML and support LWML grants and programs.
- Send in mite offerings to the district LWML.
- Obtain from the LWML Office a subscription to the official LWML publication, if not provided by the district LWML.
Voting Privileges of an Individual Member
- Individual membership is not considered a group or a unit, and therefore does not confer voting privileges at the national level. [See LWML Bylaws, Article II, Section 1(e)]
- The privilege of vote at zone or district meetings is at the discretion of those organizations and is determined by their bylaws.
- If an individual member serves as an officer of a zone, district, or LWML, she has all privileges of vote connected with that office.
- If an individual member serves as an elected delegate to the district or LWML convention, she has all privileges of vote connected with that office.
Group Responsibilities Toward Individual Members
- Invite individual members to attend local activities.
Zone Responsibilities Toward Individual Members
- Include individual members in zone mailings.
- Invite and encourage individual members to attend zone functions.
- Allow individual members the same voice and voting privileges as group members at zone
- LWML meetings.
- Invite and encourage individual members to serve as officers or as committee chairmen/members of the zone LWML.
- Permit individual members the same opportunities as others to serve as elected delegates/alternates to LWML conventions.
District Responsibilities Toward Individual Members
- Reproduce Individual Membership Forms (see below).
- Send an Individual Membership Form to the applicant to complete and return, upon request.
- Send a letter of welcome to the applicant, upon receipt and approval of the Individual Membership Form.
- Send a Mite Box and other pertinent LWML materials to the Individual Member.
- Provide the Individual Member with general LWML information: address of LWML Office, LWML website, how to order the official LWML publication and LWML Catalog, names and addresses of current district LWML officers, etc.
- Include individual members in district mailings.
- Invite and encourage individual members to attend district LWML meetings, conventions and events.
- Permit individual members to serve, if elected, as district convention delegates/alternates.
- Permit individual members to serve as officers and as committee chairmen/members in the district LWML.
- Notify the president of the zone in which the member’s congregation lies so the individual member may be informed about zone LWML functions.
- Inform the group president, if there is an LWML group in the congregation in which the Individual Member holds membership, so the individual member may be included in local activities.
- Provide information regarding the number of individual members in the district, upon request.
National LWML Responsibilities to Individual Members
- Invite and encourage Individual Members to attend LWML conventions and events.
- Permit Individual Members, if elected by the zone in which their congregation holds membership, the opportunity to serve as LWML convention delegates/alternates.
- Permit individual members to serve, if eligible, as an LWML committee chairman/member, or, if elected, as an LWML officer.
Sample Letter to Welcome Individual Members
(city, state, zip code)
The District of the Lutheran Women’s Missionary League welcomes you as an Individual Member. We invite and encourage you to join with other members at Zone, District, and LWML events.
The President of the Zone in which you reside is
You may remit your mite offerings directly to the District (Financial Secretary or Treasurer). We encourage you to do so at least quarterly. A Mite Box and remittance form are enclosed for your convenience. Send your mite offerings and remittance form to:
You will receive information shortly regarding an individual subscription to the LWML official publication.
We wish you God’s richest blessings as you join with other Lutheran Women in Mission as together we serve our Lord with gladness.
In His Name,
cc: (zone president)