A Merry and Blessed Christmastide to you.
I often refer to my husband as the love of my life. While I love him dearly and he does bring joy to my life, he is not my true love. The song the 12 Days of Christmas reminds me of who my true love really is, Jesus Christ. The Son of God, born to die so that we may have eternal life. Now that is true love, freely given.
- The Partridge in a Pear Tree is Jesus Christ, my true love whose birthday we celebrate on the first day of Christmas, December 25.
- The two turtle doves represent the Old and New Testament.
- The Three French Horns stand for Faith, Hope, and Love (1 Corinthians 13:13).
- The Four Calling Birds are the four Gospels, which proclaim the Good News of God's reconciliation of the world to Himself in Jesus Christ.
- The 5 Golden Rings recall the first Five Books of the Old Testament, known as the Torah or the Pentateuch.
- The six Geese A-laying stand for the 6 days of creation (Genesis 1).
- The Seven Swans A-Swimming represent the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit (Romans 12:6-8; cf. 1 Corinthians 12:8-11).
- The Eight Maids A-Milking are the eight Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-10).
- The Nine Ladies Dancing are the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22).
- The Ten Lords A-Leaping are the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17).
- The Eleven Pipers Piping represent the eleven faithful Apostles (Luke 6:14-16).
This does not include the twelfth disciple, Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus.
- The Twelve Drummers Drumming symbolize the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostles' Creed.
Happy Thanksgiving! Yes, Merry Christmas and Happy Thanksgiving. We have so much to be thankful for. For these twelve days and every day that the Lord has given us through His word.
Happy New Year.