One YWR to Another…
Mobile YWR Information
WELCOME YWRs! This page has all the information you will need to be prepared for the National Convention in Mobile.
Convention Tips and Answers to Commonly Asked Questions
- Will I really get less sleep than I do at home with two small children? Yes, you will get less sleep, but it’s worth it!
- Dress code? Take layers! Another tip: Take ‘power bars’ or snack packs of almonds in your bag in case you need it in between meals.
- Be prepared for lots of walking and late hours; and wear comfortable shoes! Bring a smile and be prepared for ladies to come up to you and ask questions about you! The ladies love talking to the YWRs.
- Try not to look bored during the meeting; you never know when there will be a camera on you! Also, know that you can’t vote, but you may be asked your opinion. And last, but not least, don’t forget your Bible!
- Take pictures! I have used some for our district newsletter, YW webpage, and talks at societies or zones.
- Don‘t be afraid to talk to the older wise ladies, even if you do not know them. You never know what you might learn or find you have in common. Wear comfortable shoes. I found some great comfortable sandals that I could wear with all of the clothing I packed. This saved on packing too many shoes!
- Pack plenty of purple, any shade will do! Being new to LWML, I had no idea that purple was THE color for LWML and all that everyone wears, so I felt a little out of place. Another tip; even though it’s summer, bring a jacket. The main hall tends to be cold. But don’t worry if you forget your jacket, there will be plenty of jackets, sweaters, and other LWML merchandise for sale. Save up because you’ll want to buy it all!
- Be prepared to return home with an extra bag! We got so many lovely gifts and mementos that I had to check luggage on the way back. Take time to chat with as many YWRs as possible and share ideas about what your societies do at home. And last but not least, when waiting for the ballrooms to open up for dinner; introduce yourself to the ladies with you in line. I made some great friends with more mature LWMLers that I keep in touch with to this day.
- Get to know the older woman in your church and include them in your support network. They have been where you are, have walked where you have walked and have been lifted up on wings of eagles many times. They know without a shadow of a doubt that you will too. They have wisdom that you can’t get from your girlfriends and they have encouragement that is godly and pure.
- Bring comfortable walking shoes! Don’t try to be in the Convention Choir in addition to the YWR programming. You’ll be too stressed to really enjoy the full and busy scope of the convention.
- Say “yes” to everything. Seriously.
- “Want to get dessert tonight?” Yes. That’s how I made 4 lifelong friends. We called it the Lutheran Dessert Hour. We meet regularly each week via vid chat to have bible study.
- “Want to sing some camp songs before the show starts?” Yes. That’s how we YWRs ended up creating an unofficial pre-show to Saturday night’s entertainment and got the whole place singing with us.
- “Will you pray with me?” Yes, yes, one thousand times yes.
- Growing in my faith alongside my LWML sister that weekend was the highlight of convention. On a more practical note: bring comfy shoes. At convention you’ll not only walk with Christ in a spiritual way, but you will also do a lot of actual walking. Those convention centers are huge.
- If it seems too overwhelming to fully jump into all LWML has to offer, pay attention to which department/work of LWML most resonates with you, and figure out how you can get more involved in that particular area. Be intentional about keeping in touch with the friends you make in LWML from around the country.
- Thinking outside the box is key. Taking steps out of our comfort zone can open doors in more ways. Be sure to have fun. This will help you relax, and you will find that you want to do more in the LWML and in your community.
Other Helpful Information:
- The dress code for the convention is business casual. The YWRs will be processing in with their district presidents on Friday morning. Dress for this is a bit dressier. You may wish to wear a skirt or dress.
- You will sit with your district president during business sessions.
- Mobile is in the Central Time Zone. Don’t forget that your body will not be used to this time zone if you come from another. Take care of yourself!
- When packing, leave room in your suitcase to bring back goodies!
- You will be very busy and the days will be very long! It will be well worth it!
- Yes, many are wearing purple, but wearing your favorite colors is okay too. Wear purple when you are NOT at a convention or LWML function. Let the world ask why you are wearing purple!
How Do I Get Involved? Where would you choose to serve? We can help you identify areas where your gifts and talents are most needed.