Mission Service Activity of the Month
June 2023: Donate Used Blankets to an Animal Shelter
According to bestfriends.org, approximately 6.3 million companion animals enter U.S. animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.1 million are dogs and 3.2 million are cats. Let’s try to make their stay there a little more comfortable. These animals need our love and care too!
Collect and donate used blankets to an animal shelter, or make and donate fleece-tied blankets for the shelter.
DIRECTIONS FOR A FLEECE-TIED BLANKET
You Will Need:
- 1 yd of fleece for the top
- 1 yd of fleece for the bottom
- 1 ruler and pencil
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 popsicle stick
- straight pins (optional)
- Lay the fabric out on a flat surface with the wrong sides together. Match up the sides and pin.
- Measure and cut out a 4 ½ inch square at each corner; cut through both pieces of fleece.
- Using the popsicle stick as a guide cut popsicle length fringe on all four sides of the blanket, cutting through both pieces of fleece.
- Tie each of the fringe pieces sets together with an overhand knot, tying the two pieces of fleece material together making one blanket.
Gospel Focus: LOVE IS
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things (1 Corinthians 13:4–7).
Devotion as You Plan
As your group meets to collect blankets, open the meeting with the single-session Bible study “Blessed to Be a Blessing”.
Prayer as You Plan and Prepare
Heavenly Father, please bless all the hands that will be collecting or making these blankets for the sheltered animals. We pray that these animals find their loving forever homes. We pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Download the printable PDF of this Mission Service Activity
Donate Used Blankets to an Animal Shelter
The Gospel Outreach Committee would love to hear about, and share, your mission service activities! Please contact the Vice President of Gospel Outreach here. Thank you!